[ImageJ-devel] Design meeting notes

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 17:42:46 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> A few of us met for several hours today to discuss some design issues
> for ImageJ 2.0. The original goal of the meeting was to begin defining a
> new core class hierarchy corresponding to many of ImageJ's historically
> most central classes: e.g., ImagePlus, ImageStack, ImageProcessor.
> However, we discussed several other architectural issues as well. I
> tried to take notes but they ended up being very terse. Nonetheless, I
> wanted to mention their availability at:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=13zVORIFldha5xT8C3wUPLPGr_ok30rh9whLrEsxYA_s

When you write that you want to kill ij.io.FileInfo, I hope you meant
"deprecate" instead. A number of plugins use this class.

Also, I am wary of the MVC design discussions. This all sounds as if your
target was again a single-desktop application, and not an image processing
library extensible via plugins which just so happens to also have an
interactive backend for end users.

In other words, I get the impression that not everybody understood what
the @parameter design is about. It is not about making writing plugins
simpler -- that is a side effect. It is solely to support CellProfiler,
KNIME, cluster and grid execution etc.

Otherwise: impressive job.

Ciao,
Johannes