[ImageJ-devel] Fwd: Hist thresh toolbox license question

Barry DeZonia bdezonia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:13:42 CST 2013

Thanks Antti. I've already begun porting it into ImageJ2. I noticed that
the release includes a tweak to the th_minimum.m code. I was going to
incorporate it into our stuff but came across three versions (one our own)
and wanted to make sure that if our code differs it is a mistake and not a
bug we found.

At the end of th_minimum.m the code looks like this in 1.02:

% The threshold is the minimum between the two peaks.
for k = 2:n
  if y(k-1) > y(k) & y(k+1) > y(k)
    T = k-1;
  end
end

Our version (I believe ported from 1.02) is very similar except the test
line looks like:

  if y(k-1) > y(k) & y(k+1) >= y(k)   // NOTICE THE SINGLE >= INSTEAD OF >

Finally your much changed version looks like this in 1.03:

% The threshold is the minimum between the two peaks.
peakfound = false;
for k = 2:n
  if y(k-1) < y(k) & y(k+1) < y(k)
    peakfound = true;
  end
  if peakfound  & y(k-1) >= y(k) & y(k+1) >= y(k)
    T = k-1;
    return
  end
end

I think Gabriel can shed light maybe on our change and if it was by design
or not. (Gabriel its been present since 1.0). And I see your new version is
>='s on both ends. So maybe this email is overkill. Any clarification on
your thinking re: the 1.03 change would be appreciated.