[ImageJ-devel] Qeustion regarding labeling and regions of interest in imglib2

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Wed Sep 9 14:21:19 CDT 2015

Hi Robert,

the problem is the following:
In the ImgLabeling constructor
	public ImgLabeling( final RandomAccessibleInterval< I > img )
the img you pass is used to store the labels at each pixel.
(The way that works is that integers are mapped to sets of labels that occur. If you have labels of type String, i.e., a ImgLabeling<String,IntType>,
then depending on which labels and combinations of labels actually occur in your labeling, the mapping might be something like
 0 -> {}
 1 -> {"A"}
 2 -> {"B"}
 3 -> {"B","C"}
etc...
The mapping is build, as you add labels to pixels.)

The assumption is that initially the labeling is empty, that is all zeros in the backing image, and the mapping just comprising 0 -> {}.
In your example, you passed the labelMap as the backing image. This is not zeroed.

One way to make your example work is to simply use a new, empty backing image, and then set the labels from the labelMap like you did.
Replace this:
		final RandomAccessibleInterval< IntType > img = ImageJFunctions.wrapNumeric( labelMap );
		Img< FloatType > img2 = ImageJFunctions.convertFloat( labelMap );
		final long[] dims = new long[ img.numDimensions() ];
		ImgLabeling< Integer, IntType > labeling = new ImgLabeling< Integer, IntType >( img );
by this:
		final Img< FloatType > img2 = ImageJFunctions.convertFloat( labelMap );
		final Dimensions dims = img2;
		final IntType t = new IntType();
		final RandomAccessibleInterval< IntType > img = Util.getArrayOrCellImgFactory( dims, t ).create( dims, t );
		final ImgLabeling< Integer, IntType > labeling = new ImgLabeling< Integer, IntType >( img );
Then it works.

For transfering the labeling you do not have to loop over all the labels. you could just do this:
	final Cursor< LabelingType< Integer > > labelCursor = Views.flatIterable( labeling ).cursor();
	for ( final UnsignedByteType input : Views.flatIterable( ImageJFunctions.wrapByte( labelMap ) ) )
	{
		final LabelingType< Integer > element = labelCursor.next();
		if ( input.get() != 0 )
			element.add( input.get() );
	}
(This assumes that in labelMap the value 0 means “no label”).

In principle, if your labelMap has values 0, 1, 2, ... without big gaps, and 0 means “no label” you could just use it directly as backing image and produce a fitting LabelingMapping, like
 0 -> {}
 1 -> {1}
 2 -> {2}
 3 -> {3}
etc yourself. But that involves diving much deeper into the details, basically reading through the code of ImgLabeling and LabelingMapping.
I would recommend above solution for now.

best regards,
Tobias