[ImageJ-devel] 3D Viewer vs. ClearVolume

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu May 28 20:52:50 CDT 2015

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the update!

> if you know better place to discuss this then email… sure, let me
> know… I could cut and paste this mail easily into a forum type thing
> of your choice...

I have CCed the imagej-devel list, since this discussion may interest other
developers. I chose imagej-devel instead of fiji-devel because although the
3D_Viewer plugin does not ship on the core ImageJ update site, a version of
it does ship with ImageJ1. So it is not really a "Fiji-specific" plugin.

> we switched gears and looked out for methods that could bundle our
> favorite jogl and gluegen libraries in our own ueber-jar.

I hope you guys saw this page at some point:
http://imagej.net/Uber-JAR

Indeed, shading the dependencies is the most robust way of shipping two
versions of the same libraries in ImageJ right now without causing
conflicts. There are still disadvantages though, as discussed at the above
link. But if it is working for you, that is OK.

> we had to find out that on 0 of the 5 machines we could ever start the
> 3D Viewer if we used Java7 or Java8.

All Macs? If any were Windows, did you try the updated experimental bundle
I linked before?
http://curtis.imagej.net/2015-04-09-jogl-java3d/

For one thing, that bundle uses an updated version of the 3D Viewer that
never takes the liberty of trying to install Java 3D [1].

If it would be helpful, I could also prepare OS X and/or Linux versions of
such a bundle.

> Let me know what you think and if we can help in any way.

If you guys are feeling motivated, you could do more testing on various
platforms of the code changes I have done. It would be great to get the
JOGL version of Java 3D 1.6 shipping with Fiji.

I am insanely busy through at least mid June, but will try to make time to
work on this before July 1st (since after that point, I have a moratorium
on coding in order to work on papers for a while).

[1] https://github.com/fiji/3D_Viewer/compare/jogl-java3d