[ImageJ-devel] external plugins

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Mar 19 13:15:01 CDT 2015

Hi Jay,

> What might be the best way to include these compiled jars in my class
> path upon launching the binary?

Well, one option would be to make JEX into a plugin for ImageJ, with a JEX
update site. Then JARs in the jars/ and plugins/ directories would
automatically be on the classpath, thanks to the ImageJ launcher.

Otherwise, deployment of Java applications is a rough issue, man. If you
don't want to use ImageJ's solution (the Launcher), then you can research
it yourself and go your own way. There are a million and one ways to do it,
and they all have their pros and cons. One popular option is launch4j [1].
Actually, I would love to switch ImageJ to something more industry standard
like that, but it's quite a lot of effort and surely there would be some
serious backwards incompatibilities...

[1] http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/