[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ distributions for Linux

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 13 13:56:37 CDT 2015

Hi Wayne,

> I have been able to create ImageJ distributions for Mac and Windows
> that bundle Java 8, but not for Linux.

Sorry for the delay in reply. I had to upgrade my Ubuntu Linux VM through
several new releases to get to 15.04 so that the openjdk-8 packages would
be available, and I could attempt to reproduce.

I was able to build a Debian Linux package for ImageJ2 by installing the
openjdk-8-jdk and openjfx packages, then running "mvn -Pdist" from the
imagej/imagej working copy. (I did not test for imagej/ImageJA but I expect
it also works.)

> on Linux, with Java 8, I get this error
>
>    Error occurred during initialization of VM
>   java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
>
> I get the same error if I try to run ImageJ using the Fiji launcher. I
> tried setting the JAVA_HOME property, but that didn’t help.

I have not seen that error, but a web search found this StackOverflow post,
which is probably worth checking out:

   http://stackoverflow.com/q/11808829

In short, it sounds like an installation issue with Java itself. Did you
install using your distro's package manager?

HTH,
Curtis