[ImageJ-devel] Developping new UI for ImageJ

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Apr 8 12:20:44 CDT 2015

Hi Cyril,

> What the difference between the DisplayService, ImageDisplay and
> ImageDisplayViewer ?

The DisplayService is the service for working with Displays. It is UI
agnostic, and should not need to be overridden.

ImageDisplay is a Display for image objects. These are UI agnostic.

ImageDisplayViewer is the actual UI-specific implementation (e.g.,
SwingImageDisplayViewer in imagej-ui-swing), which creates and shows the UI
components for the desired ImageDisplay.

> An image is open but who decide of what and how ?

The UIService responds to DisplayCreatedEvents, creating and showing a
DisplayViewer for each currently visible UI [1, 2, 3].

> Do I have to overwrite the ImageDisplayService or is it UI agnostic ?

The ImageDisplayService is a convenience service for working specifically
with ImageDisplays (rather than the more general Displays). It is UI
agnostic, and should not need to be overridden.

What you need to do is implement a JavaFXImageDisplayViewer, which will
then be used to display the UI component that visualizes the image (i.e.,
the Dataset, which is wrapped in a DatasetView, which is wrapped in an
ImageDisplay).

The current type hierarchy is at least one level too complex. FWIW, it
evolved this way so that ImageDisplays could be fully headless [4]. But
there are definitely ways to simplify the hierarchy. We will do it before
the ImageJ2 data model comes out of beta.

See also these issues:
* https://github.com/scijava/scijava-common/issues/157
* https://github.com/imagej/imagej-common/issues/12

[1]