[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] imglib2-neon project for runtime bytecode transformation

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Wed Sep 24 04:24:55 CDT 2014

Hi Steffi,

On 24 Sep 2014, at 02:12, Preibisch, Stephan <preibischs at janelia.hhmi.org> wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> this does look pretty impressive indeed. As it is modified on runtime, it should even work with new Types and Accessibles that are not part of ImgLib2 but some external program that is based on ImgLib2 and adds for example its own types, or?

Yes, absolutely.

> Did you test if this scales well with larger number of instances? For ImgLib2 it would be something like |accessibles| x |types|, right? In many cases it would not use a lot of the possibilities, but for something like KNIME or ImageJ2 this might actually happen.

I did not do any larger tests yet.

Whether it would be |accessibles| x |types| for imglib depends on how it is used.
Lets assume that you have a function
  <T extends Type<T>> T getMax( Cursor<T> c, T type )
Then it depends on how you annotate it. For
  @Instantiate <T extends Type<T>> T getMax( @ByTypeOf Cursor<T> c, T type )
it would be instantiate it for ArrayCursor and ArrayLocalizingCursor, but ArrayCursor<IntType> and ArrayCursor<FloatType> would share the same instance.
For
  @Instantiate <T extends Type<T>> T getMax( Cursor<T> c, @ByTypeOf T type )
it would be instantiated for IntType and FloatType, but ArrayCursor<IntType> and ArrayLocalizingCursor<IntType> would share the same instance.
For
  @Instantiate <T extends Type<T>> T getMax( @ByTypeOf Cursor<T> c, @ByTypeOf T type )
you would have the full |cursor| x |type| space.

I don’t see this becoming a big problem at the moment.
We should anyway not indiscriminately apply it everywhere, only where we can really show a performance increase.

I see it as more of an issue if we add more of these instantiation idioms, for example for specializing classes. Then the number of instances might multiply through chains of such instantiations. Imagine the above with Cursor classes being generated depending on Type and number of dimensions. And that with Types being generated depending on the underlying Access.

The nice thing is that you only pay for what you actually use.
In any case, it is easy to cap the number of instances that are generated at a fixed number, and use the same instance for every newly occurring type after that.

> Again, looks awesome! And if it turns out to be working in all cases, I agree, this could be a huge game changer.

Cool, thanks!
Tobias