[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] Lock-free bit fields, was Re: What's left to do for ImgLib2

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Oct 30 13:39:49 CDT 2014

Hi Stephan,

Getting the ‘unsafe’ interval for a specific location is certainly possible. But how would that be effectively used in an algorithm if the interval changes from location to location?
Alternatively, RandomAccessibles and IterableIntervals could offer methods to chop them up into ‘safe’ parts for multithreading. However there are many different ’safe' subdivision and it depends on the algorithm which one is preferrable. Also these subdivisions (as well as the ‘unsafe’ interval) would need to be propagated correctly through Views and RealViews which might get rather involved.
I’m happy to discuss ideas in this direction, but I don’t think it is a viable short-term solution.

For practical reasons, I would stick with “You are safe as long as multiple threads write to different pixels”.
This is the contract that we have been implicitly following all along. A lot of code relies on it. Even if we come up with a nice alternative, we do not have the man-power to fix all code that relies on the old contract and that we would break along the way. Therefore my preferred short-term solution is to synchronize( dataAccess ){…} the fractioned-type writes, as Johannes suggested.

best regards,
Tobias