[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ2 development

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue May 6 16:17:10 CDT 2014

Hi Pawel,

> I am really glad you are open to collaboration. Like you said, there
> is definitely a learning curve, so I will try to get acquainted with
> the current codebase and drop in on #imagejdev for questions.

Sounds good.

> I am happy to work on documentation while I am getting up to speed
> with the code.

Great, that would be really helpful.

> Most of my itches are actually GUI-related, but from what I've
> gathered you are not planning to initially change the GUI much from
> what it was in 1.x for compatibility reasons. Maybe once I understand
> the code structure a little better, I can help with work on the Swing,
> AWT, or RCP GUIs for the later releases. I'll be keeping in touch.

Right, there are two very different modes: the ImageJ 1.x user interface,
and the ImageJ 2.x Swing UI. The latter is (at the moment) designed to
function much like the former, although we will probably diverge more from
ImageJ 1.x's design in the future.

To facilitate total backwards compatibility, as well as to accommodate
Wayne Rasband's continued development of ImageJ 1.x, we are now opting to
release ImageJ 2.0.0 running with the 1.x UI by default. You can still
switch to the ImageJ2 UI using Help > Switch to Modern Mode, but it has
more limitations compatibility-wise.

I would encourage you to discuss your UI ideas and requirements on
imagej-devel or in the #imagejdev IRC channel (i.e., somewhere public).
That way we can stay on the same page about what things are possible and
warranted within each user interface.

I look forward to hearing more from you!