[ImageJ-devel] Developing a Plugin, Should I use ImageJ 1 or 2?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 4 15:52:43 CST 2014

Hi Calem,

> I'm looking at converting a denoiser so that it can be used in ImageJ.
> Should I make a plugin for ImageJ 1 or ImageJ 2?
>
> ImageJ 2 looks potentially nicer to work with, but since it's in
> development I'm not sure I should jump to it. I've never made an
> ImageJ plugin before (and it'll be interesting going back to Java), so
> I'm not sure which is easier to work with from a plugin development
> perspective.

The short answer is that ImageJ1's API is simpler, while ImageJ2 is more
powerful. (This is an overgeneralization of course -- personally I find
ImageJ2's typed plugin mechanism to be more elegant, for example, but the
ImgLib2 API for working with images has a higher learning curve than the
ImageJ1 API.)

If all you want is a denoiser plugin that people can get started using
ASAP, I suggest you code it as an ImageJ1 plugin and serve it via a Fiji
update site [1]. If you take care to use ImageJ1's built in input
harvesting mechanism (the GenericDialog) then ImageJ2 should be able to run
your plugin as-is via its legacy compatibility layer.

[1] http://fiji.sc/Update_Sites