[ImageJ-devel] Differences between .fft.FourierTransform and .fft2.FFT

Brian Northan bnorthan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 08:42:42 CST 2014

Hi Micheal

I am not entirely familiar with 'FourierTransform' because I've been using
the newer FFT.java class but I think the differences you are seeing are
because 'FourierTransform' has different preprocessing and extension
related settings.

If you look at FourierTransform.java you can see that the constructor you
used in turn calls another constructor

https://github.com/imglib/imglib2-algorithm-gpl/blob/master/src/main/java/net/imglib2/algorithm/fft/FourierTransform.java

It looks like the 'preprocessing' option defaults to
"relativeExtensionFade' and 'relativeImageExtension' is set to 0.25.

In contrast FFT.java only extends to the nearest 'fast' FFT size and uses a
constant padding strategy.

Keep us up to date on how things are going.  If you manage to get the
tutorial working with the new FFT I think that would be a great addition to
the tutorial.

Brian