[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] moving to Java 7

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Sun Dec 7 14:30:12 CST 2014

Hi everyone,

> we are considering to increase the required Java version for
> ImageJ2/Fiji from 6 to 7.

Such a change is not something that could happen overnight. To elaborate a
bit on the challenges and logistics:

- Java 7 is not available to everyone. In particular, it is not available
for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and earlier. Our current estimate is that ~1% of
users use such operating systems. While upgrading is an option for some, it
is not possible on older hardware.

- As Michael & Birgit point out, ImageJ has problems when run with Java 7
in some scenarios, and on some platforms. Also, as I mentioned on another
recent thread, there are performance issues with repainting on OS X with
Java 7 (but not, it seems, with Java 6 or 8).

- Existing Fiji installations using a bundled Java -- the majority of them:
the Windows and Linux bundles -- would need to be upgraded somehow. But the
ImageJ Updater does not support upgrading the version of Java. Either: A)
someone would need to do the work of improving the Updater to upgrade Java
automatically; or B) all Fiji users would need to manually upgrade it,
and/or download and unpack a new Fiji. I would strongly prefer option A,
but the work is involved and I personally would not have time to do it any
time soon.

With these points in mind, my current preference is to keep supporting Java
6 for the time being. For developers wishing to use Java-7-specific
features, a separate update site would be a safer route.

That said, if a motivated party is able to:

1) Make the Updater smarter about versions of Java -- ideally, implementing
UI that lets the user specify and switch between JREs similar to e.g.
Eclipse.

2) Verify that the most critical problems in behavior are already fixed,
and/or fix them.

3) Thoroughly test on all three major platforms -- ideally with both Oracle
Java 7 and OpenJDK 7.

Then moving forward with the switch would be feasible.