[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] moving to Java 7

Birgit Möller birgit.moeller at informatik.uni-halle.de
Sun Dec 7 12:13:43 CST 2014

Hi all,
for Alida/MiToBo we also tested ImageJ with Orcale Java 7 a while ago.
We only used the platform-independent Jar archive compiled with Java
1.6 for our tests and did not try to compile ImageJ with Java 7
ourselves. Anyway, running the ImageJ jar archive for Java 1.6 as
available from the ImageJ website with Java 7 we noticed some serious
problems on (Ubuntu) linux quite similar to those that Gabriel
mentioned. In particular, we got exceptions on closing windows, e.g.,
the ROI manager window. It closed, however, afterwards could never be
opened again. The same happened to other windows so that interaction
with ImageJ was seriously hampered after the exception appeared once.
The problems were restricted to special versions of Java 7 and also to
Linux, i.e. not all update versions seemed to be affected and on
Windows no such problems occurred at all. As we did this tests some
time ago unfortunately I don't know the exact exceptions and versions
of Java 7 anymore. In any case it appeared as if the way how ImageJ
closes windows and releases resources needs some updates to become
compatible with Java 7 - but this is just a guess.
Best regards,

 Birgit