[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] creating io.scif.img.ImgOpener currently fails in Fiji

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Fri Aug 22 09:35:53 CDT 2014

Hi Johannes,

On 22 Aug 2014, at 09:04, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:
>
>> Currently
>> new io.scif.img.ImgOpener();
>> fails with
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid service: net.imagej.legacy.LegacyAppEventService
>
> Yep, the explanation is very easy:
>
>> [...]
>> Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Cannot instantiate more than one DefaultLegacyService
>> […]

I missed that...

> There is already a context, including a legacy service. Unfortunately, the
> best way to get at this context from an *ImageJ 1.x plugin* that I could
> come up with is:
>
> 	import org.scijava.Context;

> 	final Context context = (Context)
> 		IJ.runPlugIn(Context.class.getName(), "");
> 	final ImgOpener opener = new ImgOpener(context);
>
> (There is no way to make that more convenient without letting SCIFIO
> depend on ImageJ 1.x, which is of course a big no-no).

The problem with this solution you suggested is that it does not work in Eclipse:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid service: net.imagej.legacy.DefaultLegacyService

As much as I understand the need for the runtime service discovery used by the scijava stack, there are certainly downsides to it.
My feeling is that in some ways it undermines the advantages that we have gained by switching to maven.
I can import a maven project into my Eclipse, and all the dependencies are there, explicitly and automatically, which is really very convenient.
Except now all dependencies are not there anymore because now there are non-obvious (to me) implicit runtime dependencies.
I find this unfortunate.

That being said, I found a solution that works for now, both in Eclipse and in Fiji
    final ImgOpener opener = new ImgOpener( new Context( SCIFIOService.class, AppService.class, StatusService.class ) );
This avoids requiring the net.imagej.legacy.LegacyAppEventService.
It seems to work, but I’m not sure: Are there any downsides to that?

best regards,
Tobias