[ImageJ-devel] (headless) command execution

Stefan Posch posch at informatik.uni-halle.de
Mon Apr 14 10:16:48 CDT 2014

Hi Curtis,

thanks for your reply, we are getting ahead, but still questions for running commands

>    * The run() method of a module can assume that all required input
>    parameters have been filled (i.e., are non-null). And the corresponding
>    post-condition of run() is that all required output parameters are now
>    filled.
perfect, the same with us

>    * The initialize() method of a module cannot necessarily assume
>    anything about the state of its parameters. As you pointed out, ImageJ2
>    has various commands right now that *do* assume certain parameters have
>    been filled via preprocessing. This works in practice (at least from
>    the ImageJ application), but is not particularly rigorous.
>    * Similarly, ImageJ2 has several commands which assume their
>    initializer has been called, but it is not stated as a formal
>    precondition. Most probably it makes sense to state that in the
>    javadoc, would you agree? In other words: if you aren't going to
>    include the InitPreprocessor in the preprocessing chain, you are still
>    somehow responsible for calling module.initialize() before calling
>    module.run(). Is that fair?
again: perfect

>    So the main sticky point is what to do about initialize() requiring
>    certain parameters to be already filled. This is useful for dynamic
>    modules, but also just for computing defaults -- e.g., setting default
>    brightness/contrast min & max values to the current display min max of
>    the input image. So it seems there are two "layers" of input
>    parameters: those needed before initialize() and those not needed for
>    it.
>    Maybe we need a way to formally flag these "required before initialize"
>    parameters in the annotation? What do you think? Would that help you?
This would be different from autoFill() ?

Yes and no.

In a way it makes responsibilities clear, in so far I feel comfortable with it.

However, it seems to me that there are (potentially very heavy) restrictions
on the parameters which may be filled in advance (automaticcal and not by the user)
in a sensible way. As far as I understand ij2 fills in parameters with what I think
you called AutoFooPreprocessors, so active image and active display?
I cannot come up with further ones. How would we fill in an int parameter
without knowledge of its meaning/sematics?
And even for images is only possible for commands with exactly one image or display.
Obviously we could introduce a further flag for an image parameter to notify,
that I what to be assigned the active image with. But this seems pretty specific.
And probably not generic to be introduce to scijava but rather deferred to the
"application", e.g. imagej.
And there might be aplications which call for more the two layers?

Summing up, I am afraid that I do not have a cute idea.
Of course I appreciate the functionality the set initial values or make the type
of parameters depending on image features (like dimensionality, range of values).
Still adding parameters seems awkward to be. Could we come by with "only" changing
types of parameters. E.g. for DuplicateImage not add one parameter for each axes rather
have one array parameter with its length determined by the dimensionality?
And may be indicate via annotations, depending on which other parameter(s) the
type of this parameter will change?

Rather more question:
Thinking of module and parameter intitalizers it seems to be that I get more unsure.
Is it exactly to do processing between the two layers of parameters.
And it is to add further parameters and set initial values to parameters?
Are initial parameter values execulsively meant to serve as defaults for the
user or is it required that some initial values are set (in order to properly
run the command)?

If so: would this mean that for running a command head less in a non interactive way
makes the distiction of two layers is obsolete?

>    One thing that may interest you is the recent ImageJ OPS announcement:
>       [1]http://developer.imagej.net/2014/04/04/announcing-imagej-ops
>    An Op is just an ImageJ command intended to be fully functional --
That sounds great ...

>   Hi Stefan,
>   Thanks. Rather than doing this:
>     CommandInfo testopInfo = new CommandInfo(IJTestOp.class.getName());
>     testopModule = (CommandModule) testopInfo.createModule();
>   I suggest instead:
>     CommandInfo testopInfo = commandService.getCommand(IJTestOp.class);
>     testopModule = (CommandModule)
>   moduleService.createModule(testopInfo);

the advise you gave works fine, however only for running a module for a given Command once.
  (see attached source of RunTestOp.java, the zip is a tiny maven project ready to import to eclipse.
   hopefully I do not forget the attachment again :-)

  in short we have
	CommandInfo testopInfo = commandService.getCommand(IJTestOp.class.getName());
	CommandModule testopModule =  (CommandModule)moduleService.createModule( testopInfo);

   set some parameters

   run the service and init preprocessor on the module, then

	testopModule.run();
    or as an alternative
	moduleService.run(testopModule, false);

   running the init preprocessor gives
-----
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Context already injected: org.scijava.AbstractContextual#context
	at org.scijava.Context.inject(Context.java:293)
	at imagej.command.CommandModule.initialize(CommandModule.java:144)
	at imagej.module.process.InitPreprocessor.process(InitPreprocessor.java:61)
	at mainroutine.RunTestOp.main(RunTestOp.java:62)
------

  Creating a new module for the same CommandInfo fixes the problem (line 60)

  Is this intended, i.e. that the init preprocessor for a module may be run only once?
  This would pose a serious problem to us:

  What we want to do is essentially the following:
  The user selects a Command via the GUI and we create a Window displaying the input parameters.
  The user may change/supply these parameters and run the Command.
  Upon return a window displaying the results pops up.
  However, the first window displaying the input parameters is still available, the user may
  change one/some parameters an rerun the command.
  This eases testing various parameter values or the same set of parameters on different
  images without the need to repeatatly select an operator/command.

  Have you further advise how we can accomplish this, i.e. reusing a command module?

  BTW: I prefer to not set the parameters via the moduleService.run method, as the parameters
       are set elsewhere (either by the user via a GUI configuring the operator/command e.g. from grappa,
       or by parsing command line argument in case of the command line oprunner.
       Additionaly I rather invoke the moduls run-method directly, as it seems to me that
       via moduleservie a new thread is started, and at this point we like to have this under control.

  it seems, that the init preprocessor assigns the service parameters of a Command,
  not the Service preprocessor as I expected. Is the correct?
  (Probably related to "shadowing" the Service and Context parameters of a Command)

  BTW: what is the sematics of injecting a context (into a module?)

>    So this is certainly inconsistent and confusing. Do you think that
>    Commands should also include service and context inputs when iterating
>    them? If so, we can try removing that exclusion and see what
>    explodes... ;-)
We would not need them rather hide the from the user.

>    If you urgently need support for multiple simultaneous ImageJ contexts
>    created with the default constructor while ij-legacy is on the
>    classpath, and you want to try fixing the bug yourself, we would be
>    happy to elaborate further so that you can give it a shot.
no, we are hapy with one, just have to get hold of it (and use it in a static way)

Again, thanks again

best regards   Stefan