[ImageJ-devel] [ome-devel] Writing ImageJ2 plugins

Graeme Ball graemeball at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 23 16:02:02 CDT 2013

Hi Curtis,

thank you for your reply - that certainly clears up some of my questions.
Yes, my questions were motivated by the desire to write plugins for IJ1
that will not be obsolete in IJ2, and preferably be able to be run
headlessly, e.g. from OMERO.

If possible, when I write (ImageJ1) plugins I try to confine any GUI calls
to the run method, and all of the real work to an exec method that does not
require interactive input. It seems that ImageJ2 also uses a run method as
the entry point for running a command? (correct me if I am wrong) In that
case, at least the run method would have to be replaced.

I was not so worried about ImageJ1's dialogs (which I expected would *not*
be OK in a headless plugin), but was more concerned about ImagePlus, Roi
etc. which make heavy use of awt classes. If these also cannot be used
headlessly, then I guess a legacy mode with virtual UI, or re-writing to
use the IJ2 API are the only real options.

It sounds as though converting IJ1 plugins to use the IJ2 API is likely be
more productive than trying to use the legacy IJ1 API from an IJ2 plugin
(headless), but is the latter already known to be hopeless? If not, I might
be tempted to try a little.

Until now I have chosen to write for IJ1 since the IJ2 API is still a
moving target and has a smaller user base, but I guess IJ2 / ImgLib2
already makes a lot of  sense for headless processing tasks. Would you say
that once imagej2-b9-rois is out, the IJ2 API will be fairly stable going
forward?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Graeme