[ImageJ-devel] Removing obsolete Bio-Formats GitHub forks

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Oct 18 10:08:46 CDT 2013

Hi everyone (especially Dscho),

The Fiji and ImageJ namespaces on GitHub each have a fork of
openmicroscopy/bioformats. This was done so that we could have a special
branch ("fiji" in the case of fiji, and "imagej" in the case of imagej)
that point to the version of Bio-Formats artifacts currently distributed on
the Fiji and ImageJ update sites, respectively.

However, those branches are now obsolete: starting with 4.4.9 we always
ship the stable release version of Bio-Formats with Fiji. And we do not
ship any Bio-Formats artifacts at all with ImageJ2. The Bio-Formats page on
the Fiji wiki page also no longer references these GitHub forks at all.

Users who want the latest and greatest bugfixes can now enable the
"Bio-Formats daily builds" update site as described at
http://fiji.sc/Bio-Formats#Daily_builds.

Hence, I already deleted the "fiji" and "imagej" branches from those source
forks. But I would actually like to completely remove the forks themselves,
to avoid confusion. The fiji fork has no topic branches and I believe is
safe to be deleted. The imagej fork has one topic branch called
"performance" created by dscho. But dscho also has his own project fork in
his namespace too. So Dscho: are you OK with migrating that topic branch
there instead?

Any objections to this plan?

Thanks,