[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ with java 1.7?

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri May 31 09:33:17 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 31 May 2013, Chris wrote:

> I am getting this error when trying to run my plugin in ImageJ after I
> developed the plugin in Netbeans 7.3:
>
> > java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: APC_ : Unsupported major.minor
> > version 51.0
> >
> > This plugin requires Java 1.7 or later.
>
> Does ImageJ work with java 1.7?

Well, it says that the plugin requires Java 1.7, not that ImageJ requires
Java 1.7, although, to answer your question, ImageJ works with Java 1.7.

> I am using Mac OS 10.7.5 and the only java version on my machine is 1.7

This is another issue: MacOSX' Java 1.7 support is unfortunately not as
stable as Java 1.6 support.

Therefore I would suggest to configure Netbeans to target Java 1.6.

Besides, it is always better to target *not* the latest and buggiest, but
the most prevalent, in this case, Java 1.6, *especially* if you want to
make your code available (which you should, as a scientist).

Ciao,
Johannes