[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ - KNIME Integration: open questions

Michael Zinsmaier michael.zinsmaier at gmx.de
Wed May 15 08:08:10 CDT 2013

Hi all,

after you guys have made so much progress during the hackathon, we felt
motivated to review ourKNIME-ImageJ2 integration and try to further
improve it, as we want to have everything set-up when you release
ImageJ2 ;-)

Anyway, we discussed several things and a lot of questions came up
concerning ImageJ2:

* The previewcheckbox in many dialogsis a bit problematic for us because
(at the moment) we cannot support it
properly. We usethe ImageJ2 dialog building tools and thus always get a
preview checkbox if the plugin supports this. Would it be possible to
add a flag that
surpresses previews checkboxes during dialog building?

* Why is the threshold plugin an interactive command? This for instance
prevents the plugin from  beeing executing in headless mode (and hence
from appearing as a KNIME node), which might be desirable in some use
cases.

* Dynamic Commands: is there a way to determine if a command is dynamic?
   Currently wedo it via an instanceof-check which was commented with
(probaby by Curtis):
           // SO UGLY! TODO: add API to ModuleInfo to query whether the
module has
         // dynamically generated inputs and outputs (isStatic? isDynamic?)

* In KNIME we are currently loading all available plugins in the
classpath which are headless executable. But therewith plugins like
"Help", "Easteregg", "LoadDataSet" will appear as KNIME nodes as well.
However they can't do anything useful in the KNIME context (as they are
ImageJ2 specific). Are you planing to re-organize the plugins, e.g. such
that plugins, which are interesting for any application reside in their
own jar-file?

* Will the package path of the plugins be stable after ImageJ2 1.0.0 was
released?

*Are there  plans how the "dimension selection" will be integrated into
ImageJ2,  i.e. how algorithms can be run on arbitrary dimensions?
(Mapping from  AxesNames to indicies of dimensions in images). Can we
help here?(see Doc hackathon!?)

* ROIs: Are there plans to support Labelings in ImageJ2? Or will
Labelings somehow be replaced in the future?
*In thecurrent snapshot (compared to beta6) some functionalitywas
movedfrom  ImageJ to sifio / scijava (e.g. the Services). Regarding this
some questions:
   - Is "new ImageJ(services...)" replaced by"new Context(...services)"?
- How can we query the ImageJ version? (previously ImageJ.VERSION)
   - the log level system property "System.setProperty("ij.log.level",
"error");"doesn't
seem to  work any more can you confirm this?
   -The services seem to have some  ordering requirements now, we had to
move
ModuleService behind  MenuService in the constructor call to avoid a
null pointer during
initialization (onEvent(ModulesAddedEvent) was called before
initialize). Is there a defined
     service order?
((So far, we have tons of ideas where we could do more things together.
Thank you in advance for answering all these questions ;)))

Cheers,

Martin, Christian and Michael Z.