[ImageJ-devel] GitHub for Mac, was Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Thu Jun 27 15:49:02 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Chris wrote:

> >> OK, I do use Mac and I set up GitHub for Mac -- thank you!
> >
> > It still did not work :-( https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards still
> > shows only the initial commit...
>
> I know,.  I'm still lost and do not want to start trying things without knowing what I'm doing.  For example, I tried:
>
> ChrisGAIAG:~ chris$ git clone ad1054/Postcards
> fatal: repository 'ad1054/Postcards' does not exist

Well, Git has no idea that you want to clone from GitHub: you specified
the local directory ad1054/Postcards as repository to clone. But it does
not exist...

> so I don't know the correct commands.  I can see my repository at
> https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards, but following the instructions at
> https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo doesn't work .

You did not want to fork the repository. You already have a beautiful
repository. It is called "fork" when, quote:

	you may find yourself wanting to contribute to someone else's
	project, or would like to use someone's project as the starting
	point for your own. This is known as "forking."

FWIW I took this quote from the second paragraph of this page:

	https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

> So I can't really proceed in cloning my repository when I can't get past
> the first step.

So close, but no cigar ;-)

The second step suggests how to clone your repository (even if your
repository is not a fork: it *is* the original project, not started from
someone else's).

In the above-referenced page, it says in Step 2: Clone your fork:

	You've successfully forked the Spoon-Knife repository, but so far
	it only exists on GitHub. To be able to work on the project, you will
	need to clone it to your local machine.

So again, while you do not have a forked repository, you do have a
repository. And as they point out, so far it only exists on GitHub. To be
able to work on the project, you will need to clone it to your local
machine.

How?

They say this:

	Run the following code:

	$ git clone https://github.com/username/Spoon-Knife.git

Of course, this is not *exactly* what you should do. First, you should not
type that dollar sign followed by a space. This is a common way to refer
to shell commands on the web, imitating the prompt of Unix Terminals.
Second, it is not your repository. So what you will have to run is

	git clone https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards

There are other ways to clone, too, e.g. a very convenient one via the
GitHub for Mac application, but since you decided to go the hard route...

Ciao,
Johannes