[ImageJ-devel] Testing the HelloWorld Plugin

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Tue Jul 2 12:41:56 CDT 2013

Hi Mohamed,

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Mohamed Tleis wrote:

> I wanted to test the HelloWorld Plugin from the tutorials. I named it
> HelloWorld_Plugin and copied the compiled class to the plugins folder.
> I have Hello World Plugin in the Plugins Menu now, but it does nothing
> upon clicking.
>
> Two Questions:
> 1. Why you didn't use the underscore in the plugin name in the example, Is
> there another way to distribute plugins with ij2?

Yes, the underscore is too magic a concept. I bet when you ask any random
ImageJ user what makes a .jar file a plugin, chances are they do not know
about the underscore nor plugins.config. Hence we chose a simpler concept:

A plugin is a plugin whenever you annotate it with the @Plugin annotation.

> 2. Why Hello World dialog message doens't display upon accessing from
> the menu?

Did you have a look at the console output?

Ciao,
Johannes