[ImageJ-devel] Eclipse / Maven: Download Sources

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Nov 16 11:25:58 CST 2012

Hi Tobias,

> I just tried to download the sources for the scifio-4.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
*snip*
> 1.) Is this supposed to work or can I stop looking?
> 2.) What could I be doing wrong...

Thanks for reporting this issue!

What you did is correct, and is supposed to work, as long as a "-sources"
JAR was deployed to the Maven repository. Unfortunately, the Bio-Formats
Maven build was not building or deploying those.

I have now fixed that for the 4.5-SNAPSHOT version of Bio-Formats, and
deployed the sources to the Maven repository. I also changed ImgLib master
to depend on 4.5-SNAPSHOT instead of 4.4-SNAPSHOT. Lastly, I filed a PR [1]
so that the deployed sources will continue to be available for the latest
development.

So to get the sources in your Eclipse, perform the following steps:

1) Pull the latest from imglib.git.

2) Refresh your Eclipse if necessary (select projects, right-click, Maven >
Update Project...; but newer versions of Eclipse generally do this
automatically).

3) Verify that under the project's Maven dependencies, the JAR has changed
to scifio-4.5-SNAPSHOT.jar (instead of the old 4.4-SNAPSHOT version).

4) Try again to right-click it, Maven > Download Sources. It should work
this time.

In the future, if you have this problem again, you can check yourself
whether the sources are available by inspecting the Maven repository
directly. For example, I took a look at:

http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/snapshots/loci/scifio/4.4-SNAPSHOT/

And saw that there were no "scifio-4.4-XYZ-sources.jar" files, which told
me that the sources were not getting deployed.

[1] https://github.com/openmicroscopy/bioformats/pull/225

P.S. Alternately, you can of course clone the bioformats.git repository and
"Import > Existing Maven Projects" into Eclipse to create a project
dependency linkage instead of a JAR linkage. Then none of this "Downlaod
Sources" stuff is necessary, and you can even hack on the Bio-Formats code
if you want to test changes, etc.