[ImageJ-devel] Questions about imglib2

Stephan Saalfeld saalfeld at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Mar 15 08:50:18 CDT 2012

Hmhmhm...

Hi,

> It's about separation. Keep in mind that AWT dependencies are difficult at
> best in certain environments (cluster, Android, massively parallel
> computation, SWT).

I fully agree.  We will need to decide how to separate that properly.

> > The display package in its current for is all about generating an AWT
> > image.  Do you have an alternative display in mind?  Is there any code?
>
> There is other code for display, yes, in IJ2. My understanding was that
> the display code in ImgLib2 is rather limited and only intended for
> debugging. The actual display should be performed by the actual
> application. This notion comes from my understanding that we try to do
> proper separation of concerns in ImgLib2/ImageJ2 (rather than hodgepodge
> everything into a library which would incur a lot of technical debt).

Absolutely.  But to my knowledge, the current IJ2 display builds upon
DatasetView which builds upon ARGBScreenImage which builds upon AWT
Image.

https://github.com/imagej/imagej/blob/master/core/data/src/main/java/imagej/data/display/DatasetView.java

Am I missing something else?  If not, that would need separation too,
many alternative DatasetViews to come?

> But of course I agree that we should retain the code to be able to facade
> an Img (or even an Interval?) as an AWT Image. It's just desirable to put
> such code into one very specific component.

Yes.

Best,
Stephan