[ImageJ-devel] Mailing list for ImgLib?

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri Jun 1 12:16:48 CDT 2012

Hi Curtis,

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> There has been an increasing amount of discussion of ImgLib lately,
> which is great. However, the discussions have been spread across
> fiji-devel, imagej-devel and private mails. I noticed people have been
> adding an "[imglib]" or similar prefix to some mails, but not others.
>
> Would people prefer a dedicated imglib-devel mailing list? It would be
> easy to create one. It could live on imagej.net
> (imglib-devel at imagej.net), or on Google Groups like fiji-devel does, or
> even imglib-devel at imglib2.net if the owner of that domain is willing to
> add an MX entry to imagej.net, similar to fiji.sc now (run "host
> fiji.sc" from the console to see what I mean).
>
> I think a dedicated mailing list would be good as people are
> increasingly using ImgLib2 in non-ImageJ contexts.
>
> Thoughts?

Heh. I just sent a mail to fiji-users and imagej in the opposite
direction.

I often see that discussions fail to reach the target audience because we
have too many mailing lists, not too few. Also, quite a few people get
dropped from discussions because the "Reply-to-all" button is too hard to
find.

So I'd suggest not to split the lists even further.

But I am pragmatic about it, if you really want to have another mailing
list, go for it. I'd suggest to use our own mail server. Google Groups
sound nice but have so many shortcomings and nobody fixing them.

Ciao,
Dscho