[ImageJ-devel] Basic usage of ImageJ2 libraries in seperate application (Simple display image in JFrame)

Unruh, Jay jru at stowers.org
Wed Jul 18 12:33:22 CDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to add something to Mark's request.  In general it is not trivial to see how one would create a new data type structure and create a display for it.  For example, in ImageJ1, a PlotWindow simply extends an ImageWindow and overrides its draw method to add buttons to the window.  That allows for duplication of functions like copy, zoom, rois, etc.  This is the kind of thing that ImageJ2 in principle makes much easier with the abstract character of the display and dataset classes.  Nevertheless, without an example to guide me I am having a bit of trouble assessing which methods I need to override and which ones I don't.  In addition, it isn't clear how to gain access to the image frame to create the buttons themselves.  Of course, it may be that putting buttons into a window isn't appropriate, since the underlying data model may provide access to copy and edit functions within the existing image display model.  I looked into the Histogram Plot plugin for guidance, but it simply creates a stand alone frame that doesn't extend any of the internal abstract classes or provide data access.

Thanks,
Jay