[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] Re: Permission to bump mpicbg.version to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 9 11:27:12 CDT 2012

Hi all,

> Basically, the problem with snapshot versions is that they are moving
> targets. So imglib2-2.0.0-beta3 cannot depend on mpicbg-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
> That was my thinko and Curtis corrected that.

Yes, the good thing about release versions (i.e., any version without
"-SNAPSHOT" as the suffix) is that they never change after deployment
(i.e., once they are available to anyone external). The idea is that adding
a release version dependency creates a looser-and-more-stable linkage
between projects, whereas a snapshot dependency creates a
tighter-but-less-stable one.

The way we are doing it with ImageJ2 and ImgLib2 is that the development
version of ImageJ2 depends on an ImgLib2 snapshot. When we do a release, we
do a release for the entire stack, with both ImageJ2 and ImgLib2 versioned
the same (but if you want to change this in the future, we can discuss).

It is forbidden for a release version of a project to have any snapshot
dependencies (because then depending on that release would not be
transitively stable). Therefore, when we do a release of the ImgLib2
projects, we need a new-enough release version of mpicbg as well—at least
until the transition away from mpicbg is complete someday.

> Okay, that would be version 20120621, then, as that is the date of the
> commit in fiji.git, referring to the mpicbg commit 4200032831.

I verified that the Updater considers my compiled version of that revision
> and what you uploaded as identical, so I "deployed" (== "uploaded to the
> Maven repository" in Maven speak) the latter[*1*].

Sounds perfect!