[ImageJ-devel] Question about Bioformats, Scifio and ImageJ 2.0

Birgit Moeller birgit.moeller at informatik.uni-halle.de
Thu Jul 5 09:40:53 CDT 2012

Dear ImageJ 2.0 team!
We try to some prototypical development of some plugins (and something
more) on top of the ImageJ 2.0 core. ImageJ 2.0 comes with lots of jars.
Among them there are the following four

loci-common-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
ome-xml-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
poi-loci-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar
scifio-4.4-imagej-2.0.0-beta2.1.jar

They all seem to contain parts of the Bioformats/Loci/OME-XML libraries.
It appears that most of the contents of these libraries have formerly
been part of loci_tools.jar. Our question is in how far these libraries
are compatible (or even equal?) to the other (older?) ones which can be
downloaded from the Bioformats page, i.e. loci_tools.jar.

The thing is that our software is supposed to principally run in ImageJ
1.0 as well as in 2.0. Therefore it would be great if we could rely on
just one version of bioformats, i.e. either loci_tools or the four
libraries from above. Could you give us a hint which option to follow,
i.e. which libraries to use, or should it even be possible to use both
in common?
Is the version shipped with ImageJ 2.0 just a new release of
Bioformats/Loci not yet available on the webpage (...but which will be
available there in near future)?
Or does that version contain ImageJ 2.0 specific changes which make
sense only in the context of ImageJ 2.0, and Bioformats/Loci as
available for ImageJ 1.0 from the webpage will become/remain something
different?

It would be great if you could clarify this a bit.
Thanks a lot and best regards,

 Birgit

Dr. rer. nat. Birgit Moeller  Pattern Recognition & Bioinformatics
                              Institute of Computer Science
 phone:   +49(0)345-55-24745  Faculty of Natural Sciences III
 fax:     +49(0)345-55-27039  Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
 office:  Room 4.12           Von-Seckendorff-Platz 1
                              06099 Halle / Saale (Germany)

e-mail:  birgit.moeller at informatik.uni-halle.de
www:     http://www.informatik.uni-halle.de/moeller/