[ImageJ-devel] frame grabber interface ?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 20 16:58:04 CST 2012

Hi Adrian,

I agree with Johan. Micro-Manager went to a lot of effort to create a
unified interface for acquisition, so best would be to use it. The ImageJ2
and Micro-Manager teams are working together in areas of overlap, and I
expect will do so more as both projects mature. The Micro-Manager
developers gave a lot of initial feedback and suggestions regarding
difficulties they encountered with ImageJ1, which has really helped guide
the development of ImageJ2. So the plan is for Micro-Manager to take
advantage of IJ2's flexible architecture, once things are far enough along.

In short, I don't see Micro-Manager going away any time soon, so it makes a
lot of sense to base your acquisition code there. Then you get ImageJ
integration for free.

P.S. The ImageJX mailing list has quieted down because the imagej-devel
mailing list has grown and become more of an external list. The name
ImageJX made more sense when we were discussing the idea of a new ImageJ,
whereas imagej-devel makes more sense now that we are actually doing it. I
have updated the mailing lists page (
http://developer.imagej.net/mailing-lists) to reflect that. Sorry for the
confusion.