[ImageJ-devel] [IMGLIB] moved algorithm and stats packages out of imglib2-core

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Wed Feb 29 14:48:19 CST 2012

Hi Tobias,

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

> I moved the net.imglib2.algorithm and net.imglib2.stats packages from
> the imglib2-core into the imglib2-algorithms sub-project (because thats
> where they should belong.)

Agree.

> With regard to the interfaces and classes from the algorithm package, I
> think we should reconsider whether we need those at all.

My understanding was that at least a few algorithms might be better off
moving to ops (so that we do not have two competing subprojects in
ImgLib2). But then, maybe we need to think a little more in line of
Functional programming? In particular, we may want to group the
subprojects thusly:

- filtering (make a subset of inputs)
- reduction (less outputs than inputs, think e.g. histogram)
- transformation (same number of outputs as inputs)

> In particular for the MultiThreaded interface, I imagine that something
> similar can be accomplished using the standard java.util.concurrent
> package.  For instance, (potentially) multi-threaded algorithms could be
> started with an ExecutorService argument.

That's probably a safe bet. java.util.concurrent is one of the best
designed interfaces in the Java API.

For other things, we should consider whether things in ops and things in
algorithms try to do the same and consolidate.

Ciao,
Dscho