[ImageJ-devel] IJ2 - headless operation

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Fri Dec 14 15:09:09 CST 2012

Hi all,
I'm getting pretty far along with the CellProfiler integration and I'm
at the point where I'd like to get a headless ImageJ context. My first
guess was that I should call imagej.ImageJ.createContext() with a list
containing only the ConsoleService.  The list (see below) has most of
what I want (module service, command service, dataset service, display
service), but is missing a few others (overlay service and scripting
service). I've been running ImageJ with the DefaultUIService while
running CellProfiler with a UI and it seems to operate pretty smoothly -
some error messages when it can't find viewers for displays, but
otherwise without any apparent UI interaction.

So my first question is how should I start ImageJ headless and my second
question is "how headless is headless?" (will it ever touch AWT? Will it
exclude the legacy layer?).

Created service: imagej.thread.DefaultThreadService
Created service: imagej.event.DefaultEventService
Created service: imagej.plugin.DefaultPluginService
Created service: imagej.module.DefaultModuleService
Created service: imagej.command.DefaultCommandService
Created service: imagej.options.DefaultOptionsService
Created service: imagej.event.DefaultStatusService
Created service: imagej.object.DefaultObjectService
Created service: imagej.data.DefaultDatasetService
Created service: imagej.io.DefaultIOService
Created service: imagej.display.DefaultDisplayService