[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ roadmap update

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Aug 14 13:45:35 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Each week, the ImageJ developer team has a meeting to discuss our ticket
status and organization for remaining tasks. At today's meeting, for
reasons of focus as well as timing, we decided to add a sixth beta release
in mid-November.

The theme/focus of each remaining beta is:
  beta4: plugins
  beta5: image data
  beta6: ROIs

We have reprioritized our tickets according to these themes, with
"critical" priority tickets reflecting what is necessary for the theme,
"major" reflecting work that would benefit the theme substantially, and
"minor" reserved for work that is tangential or would be nice but is not
necessary for the theme.

Beta4 will solidify the plugin framework as much as possible. Progress on
that on my front has been good last week, and I hope will continue into
this week. Beta4 will also improve the support for legacy plugins—Barry
fixed some bugs there in the past few days, with more to come. Johannes is
working on two things: 1) subtractive ROIs, which we need for full legacy
support of ROI-centric plugins such as Make Inverse; and 2) the scripting
engine & editor, which is currently the biggest missing piece of ImageJ2's
extensibility framework.

Beta5 will focus on better support for multidimensional image data. It will
include more transparent support for extremely large images, so that File >
Open "just works" rather than needing to worry about "virtual stacks" etc.
It may not include a tiling engine but that can wait till post 2.0.0 final.
Beta5 will also include support for multiple data objects in the same
display, and/or visualizing the same data object using multiple display
mechanisms. We theoretically already support this under the hood, but need
to expose some UI to let users take advantage of it.

Beta6 will include many improvements and bugfixes to ROIs. For details
there, see http://trac.imagej.net/ticket/285.

The current active ticket breakdown by milestone and owner is:

beta4: 204 (aivar 6, bdezonia 100, curtis 77, dscho 21)
beta5: 84 (aivar 4, bdezonia 31, curtis 45, dscho 4)
beta6: 41 (aivar 0, bdezonia 31, curtis 4, dscho 5, leek 1)
final: 71 (aivar 3, bdezonia 25, curtis 39, dscho 4)

For further details, see:
   http://trac.imagej.net/roadmap