[ImageJ-devel] Kanban

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 13:35:16 CDT 2011

...and coincidentally I stumbled across this....

http://deli.aggiebradley.com/2011/09/17/the-second-way-to-skin-a-cat/

Twitter is good for something.

Cheers,

Jason

On 21 Sep 2011, at 15:21, Kevin W Eliceiri wrote:

> interesting Adam. What was the symposium about?
>
> best
>
> On 09/21/11, Adam Fraser   wrote:
>> I was at a computational biology symposium yesterday and one of the speakers mentioned that his group has been using a methodology called Kanban with pretty excellent results.
>>
>> I found a good article about it here: http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/2009/kanban_over_simplified.html
>>

>> If you skip ahead to "Kanban development distilled", there's an image that should give you a good feel for the methodology. Kanban limits work in progress by giving you a set number of slots in each of a few development stages. Eg: 4 slots in the "development" stage means that only 4 things can be developed at a time. To start development on another task, you need to finish development on one of your existing tasks and move it to the next stage (if there's room).
>>

>> Anyway, it's an interesting concept that may not be immediately applicable to the work that we're all doing, but it's definitely something to be aware of.
>>

>> -Adam

> --
> Kevin W. Eliceiri
> Director and Principal Investigator
> Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (LOCI)
> http://www.loci.wisc.edu
> Departments of Molecular Biology and Biomedical Engineering
> Affiliate Investigator, Morgridge Institute for Research (MIR)
> Room 271 Animal Sciences
> 1675 Observatory Drive
> Madison, WI 53706
> Phone: 608-263-6288
> Fax: 608-262-4570

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street