[ImageJ-devel] recording commands

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue May 17 14:41:22 CDT 2011

Hi Albert,

Is ImageJ 2.0 implementing a recording system similar to the Macro
> recording in ImageJ 1.x?

Nice question, and sorry for the long delay in reply.

Are we implementing it? Not yet. Do we plan to? Absolutely. Best estimate
would be for one of the betas this summer, hopefully 2.0-beta1 for July 1st,
or else 2.0-beta2 for August 1st.

Will this recording system be generic, i.e. able to emit the commands
> and their arguments, so that then a translator can emit a recording in
> any language (java, jython, etc.)?

The idea is that commands publish an event when executed, which informs
interested parties ("subscribers") that a command has run. This part is
already done, and the infrastructure is actually quite fine-grained. See the
code here:

http://dev.imagejdev.org/trac/imagej/browser/trunk/core/plugin/src/main/java/imagej/plugin/PluginRunner.java?rev=2657#L61

The plugin runner notifies when a plugin starts, when it finishes, and which
preprocessors and postprocessors are called. It passes along the
PluginModule instance which can be queried for its parameter types, values
and more. So there should be a hook at every step of the way, for any
third-party code (including the future macro recording system) that wants to
intervene or just be aware of the status.