[ImageJ-devel] Overlays, cut and paste

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Thu Jun 9 15:19:28 CDT 2011

What's happening here is this:
Cut and paste are currently ImageJ 1.0 functions.

In the legacy layer, I run the ImageJ 1.0 plugin, ThresholdToSelection
with a ByteProcessor that holds the mask. For now, I'm flattening the
mask rather than trying to distribute it among different planes in the
stack, mostly because I don't know how any of that works. So
ThresholdToSelection makes a composite ShapeROI composed of lots of
polygons and that becomes the ImagePlus's ROI.

Going in the other direction, some of the objects are polygons and some
are freehand rois. Each of them is transformed into its own overlay, so
it's as if the original overlay was broken into pieces.

The legacy layer is very challenging. On the surface, a composite ROI
might seem to be a union of polygons and beziers that are found by using
the path iterator, but it's more complicated since some of them are
subtractions placed on top of a larger shape (that's how you get a hole
in something). On top of that, there's an issue of intent. Sometimes the
user has drawn two rectangles and the composite is intended to be
decomposed into two rectangles. But in cases such as this, the composite
was never intended to be decomposed and should be rendered as a bitmask
in ImageJ 2.0.

Hope you all understand why it's all not quite working yet.
--Lee