[ImageJ-devel] Git vs. Subversion

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Sep 6 22:11:44 CDT 2010

Hi Dscho & everyone,

Thanks, and good point about large commits. For the most part we can adhere
to "commit early, commit often," although certain kinds of changes (mass
source file relocation, for example) look ugly in the history no matter what
you do.

Anyway, as mentioned in another thread, I have migrated the ImageJDev ImageJ
repository over to SVN. I also set up Git on the new dev server, and imglib
is still using git, so keeping our imglib repositories synced will hopefully
continue to be straightforward.

As for syncing ImageJ, I'm sure our SVN will diverge from both ImageJ and
ImageJA—intentionally so as we refactor various things—so for the time being
we would need to backport changes, improvements and bugfixes as they happen.
When we all meet at the October conference, we can discuss the best longterm
strategy to reconcile the various code branches.