[ImageJ-devel] Design meeting notes

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Sat Oct 9 10:33:55 CDT 2010

Hi,

sorry, I am really tight on time at the moment, so I am not able to put
much thought into this for now.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> > Related, some @parameters will be superfluous under some
> > circumstances: as an example, CellProfiler's mixture of gaussians
> > thresholding method asks "what percentage of the image is
> > foreground?", but the Otsu thresholding method does not. CellProfiler
> > does this by asking the module for the settings to display (and the
> > user doesn't have to implement the method in which case all are
> > displayed). How would such a method in ImageJ name the parameters to
> > display? (string matching the field name? Tags in @parameters matching
> > a string array returned by the method?
>
> Hmm, sounds tricky. Maybe it work similarly to the idea above for
> validation, where an interface method exists that reports, for each
> parameter, whether it is currently relevant based on the values of other
> parameters. A nice demo for this functionality might be as simple as an
> "configure advanced options" checkbox that opens up a bunch more
> options. When the box is unchecked, the advanced options all disappear.
>
> Of course, allowing options to be grouped together would ease some of
> the declarative burden, since you could group all the advanced options
> into an explicit "advanced options" category.
>
> Johannes, have you considered any of these ideas?

No. The time I spent on the plugin design since March, I have tried to
come up with a sensible architecture to handle something like "Keep aspect
ratio" feedback (without requiring the developer to provide a metric ton
of methods to that end). So far, I haven't been successful (a single check
method has the disadvantage that it cannot set the other number
automatically).

Ciao,
Dscho