[ImageJ-devel] Labeling / segmentation proposal for imglib

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Wed Nov 17 08:43:38 CST 2010

All very interesting, Gabriel, thank you.

Do you think the specification should include a cursor that iterates
along the pixels on the perimeter? That would save everyone the trouble
of reimplementing Chang. It's somewhat trivial for me to include the
start coordinates in the interface (I'm guessing something like "int []
Start(T label);" or "int Start(T label, int dim) instead of or in
addition to "int Start[X,Y,Z](T label)" to align to the imglib spirit)
if they're of general use.

The outline pixels can be recovered from a list of pixel coordinates for
each label by sorting the coordinates by x then y and finding the ones
without y neighbors on either side, and then sorting by y, then x and
repeating, although labeling using Chang is clearly more efficient if
you have a binary thresholding of the image.

We do have a use case in which pixels are multiply labeled (current
research has images of objects that cross and share pixels) which means
that the most general case can't use reconstruction of a binary image to
recover the labeling.

--Lee