[ImageJ-devel] ImageOpener always giving me three channels when these is only one.

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Mon Dec 13 07:44:17 CST 2010

Hi all,
It would be nice, I suppose, to save the LUT in the spirit of not
destroying information, but I agree that the primary objects of interest
are the color indices. I have a feeling that people will save
segmentation results this way, designating one color as background
(typically zero = black) and then assigning colors from a color map to
each value in the indexing range. One interesting possibility is to pick
a handful of colors that are distant from each other and assign each to
several possible index values (imagine 4 color theorem, but there are
easy algorithms if you're allowed to use a few more - don't assign
nearby or touching objects to the same color). The significant
information in that case is the index, not the color.

Obviously, this scheme would fall apart if you had 256 or more objects
in a 256-color indexed image; perhaps it's up to "segmentation" to
interpret an image a segmentation result and reconstruct a labeling by
identifying the unique colors in an image and assigning all pixels with
the same color to the same object. This highlights one of the problems -
the image opener doesn't have information on the use of the image, so it
can't make the proper interpretation for the derived format and, in my
opinion, it should not make any interpretation and instead try to
preserve the information in the image file with as much fidelity as is
possible and leave the interpretation to code downstream.

--Lee