[ImageJ-devel] Headlessness

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Aug 31 12:48:39 CDT 2010

Hi Grant,

I think the "abstract plugin" mechanism that Dscho & you developed is a good
start, at least for plugins. Then you do not need a global context flag, but
rather GenericDialog is only created in the GUI case. So plugins written
using that new style are one big step closer to working headless. I think it
is less important that older plugins work headless as-is—they can be
converted to use the new style, to solve the problem that way.

For Menus and Tools, I have not examined them in detail yet, so cannot
really comment. Do you have a list of the main offenders? Point to some line
numbers in code where it's a problem? It would help save me time.

Another thing we could do is write a program that is supposed to run
headless, run it so, and see where the exceptions are raised. Then solve
them one by one until it works.

Thanks,
Curtis