[ImageJ-devel] Lock-free bit fields, was Re: What's left to do for ImgLib2

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Thu Oct 30 07:20:42 CDT 2014

Hi Johannes and Albert,

Albert, you really scared me for a moment. I thought all multi-threaded code we ever did for ImgLib2 is potentially broken now…
Fortunately it is not as bad as it seemed to me at first. NativeTypes are not thread-safe, yes, but only to the extend that results are undefined if two threads access the same index. Meaning the index of the Type, not of the underlying storage.
As Johannes points out, for the old BitType that statement was true, because write access was synchronized. Phew...

Johannes, thanks a lot for the detailed analysis!
I agree that the easiest and best way for now is to simply synchronize(dataAccess).
This will fix issues for now. We can (and should) work out a better way later.

I like the "Optimistic Concurrency Control” solution, but I also would not vouch for correctness.
We'll have to see what the overhead of the “read-value-again-to-check” operation is.

In general I think the wastefulness in the synchronize(dataAccess) is not so much the locking, but that it locks the whole dataAccess.
This basically locks the whole image. No two threads can write bits of the same image, even if those bits are not in the same long[] array element.
We cannot reasonably have a separate lock object for each array index because that would have way too much (memory) overhead.
We could have a few lock objects and then use some hashcode of the index to choose one of them.
Several indices would share the same lock object but maybe a hash function can be chosen that avoids collisions for common access patterns?
In the end, the “Optimistic Concurrency Control” is probably more feasible. It can also be combined it with the index-hashcode approach.

best regards,
Tobias