[ImageJ-devel] ImgLib2 dimensionality

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Jun 18 06:32:15 CDT 2013

Hi Aivar,

Sorry for ignoring this mail for so long...

> Another useful concept would be whether a dimension is DISCRETE

I agree; we should put this in to AxisType. We can do it on the pending
img-metadata branch [1].

> What if an algorithm could somehow declare via annotation what sorts
> of dimensions it was interested in?

I think the plan is to build a layer on top of ImgLib2 (a CalibratedViews
static utility class, probably) that can do things like detecting when an
Img has attached Axis metadata with a discrete dimension, and create
sub-Imgs at each discrete sample. Then you can execute whatever
dimension-agnostic algorithm you want on those sub-Imgs without clobbering
the discrete dimension(s), as you say.

I think both of your examples could be handled in this way, potentially.

> There's a lot of hand-waving here at present, particularly how this
> dimensional interest would be specified.

Indeed, I am also not certain exactly what my proposed layer would look
like. I agree that it would be ideal to have some convenient way of
specifying which (types of) dimensions are of interest when subdividing
images. There may also be an argument to passing the entire Img rather than
a sub-Img, if the "non-interesting" dimensions are rather "interesting for
decision-making but not to be operated upon directly." I don't know.

> ([*] Another alternative would be my creating a custom
> FittedLifetimeType or some kind of generic TupleType)

Hopefully we won't have to go that route... custom types are powerful but
also incompatible with the wealth of code already in existence that uses
regular types.