[ImageJ-devel] EuclideanSpace and imagej.display.Display

Adam Fraser afraser at broadinstitute.org
Mon Jun 6 09:44:20 CDT 2011

Hi Lee,

These are great observations, and I agree that the sooner they are addressed
the better. I looked at the Skype channel, and it appears there hasn't been
much discussion on this, so I figured I'd see if I could get a bit of
clarification on a couple things below...

>    - There are two behaviors for a view object that does not have an axis
>       in the space. Perhaps the user selects the behavior?:
>          - The value in space outside of a single plane defined by a
>          coordinate location along the axis is nan or null.
>          - The value in space along the missing axis is the same at all
>          locations along that axis.
>
> The former behavior makes sense to me, but I'm having a tough time
understanding the latter. Could you give an example?

>     - Perhaps there is a SpatialDataObject or perhaps the DataObject is
>    always spatial. In any case, the axis information and channel metadata
>    should be pushed up the inheritance hierarchy so that Overlay has a
>    first-class representation of that and operations that generate overlays
>    from datasets copy the information to the overlays they create.
>
> Hrm... it seems to me that Overlays are always spatial, but what about
datasets? How are we planning on storing derived data (eg: a table of
measurement values)?

>    - There is a spectral dimension, but the channel axis doesn't capture
>    that. Channels are categorical and should have names so they can be matched
>    in the same way that axes are matched.
>
> So the idea that the Display will ask its DataObjects for color information
right? I'm thinking about what happens when a dataset has a spectral
dimension and a channels dimension... not sure if there's a case for this,
or how to handle it.

Thanks!
-Adam