[ImageJ-devel] Extensions Classes

Jean-Yves Tinevez tinevez at pasteur.fr
Fri May 7 04:56:41 CDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Grant B. Harris wrote:

> All --
>
> I put together a preliminary sketch for a set of classes related to
> Extensions, intended to spark more discussion:
>
> http://imagejdev.org/trac/imagej/attachment/ticket/15/Class%20Diagram.png

Hi all, hi Grant,

I have a question related to ROIs (again), following a question I sent
earlier about ROI designs.

I guess that on Grant's design, the ROI objects will belong to the
Viewer object: a Viewer has a ROI.

I was wondering how to handle the different kind of Viewers. Let us
consider 2 viewers that can display only 3D data.
The first one would display it slice by slice, as existing ImageJ
stack. The second one would make a 3D rendering, line Bene Schmidt 3D
viewer.

Let us now consider a 3D ROI, in the shape of a cube.

To be drawn on the first viewer, the slice viewer, the ROI needs to
have a method that specifies what is the currently displayed slice to
be properly drawn, something like:

@Override
public abstract void draw(final int current_slice);

On the other hand, the second viewer does not require this, since the
ROI will be drawn at once. This gives a draw method in the ROI which
is like:

@Override
public abstract  void draw();

How do we deal with that in the mother interface? How do we deal with
the fact that different viewers might have different requirements for
drawing objects (images or ROI) and how do we make a mother interface
for ROIs, and a mother interface for Viewer?

Best
jy